Thursday | 10:00-11:00 AM | 8th-10th Grade
This class uses the Saxon Algebra 1 (3rd edition) curriculum. In this class your student will receive teacher instruction for each week’s lesson and help on homework questions. It is the parent’s responsibility to check that their child is keeping up with homework and to administer the tests provided in the curriculum in order to evaluate your child’s progress. The teacher is available for any questions on the homework and tests.
Why Saxon Math?
- Saxon’s “gentle repetition” helps keep students familiar with, and therefore better able to solve, a variety of problem types. “Old problems” are continually reviewed throughout the book so students don’t forget how to solve them.
- Saxon keeps geometry fresh in a student’s mind by integrating it throughout all upper level math courses.
- Saxon gradually (and non-threateningly) integrates scientific concepts, notation, and terms for upper-level science classes like Chemistry and Physical Science into its math books. Introducing these scientific principles makes the transition to these science classes less intimidating, because students have seen some of the material in their math books before.
A student completing these Saxon upper-level math books will study the equivalent of the following:
- Pre-Algebra — 1 unit
- Algebra 1 — 1 unit
- Algebra 2 — 1.5 units (Algebra 2 – 1 unit, Geometry – 0.5 units)
- Advanced Math – 1.5 units (Trigonometry – 1 unit, Geomentry – 0.5 units)